When it comes to matters of the heart, one just cannot afford to take any chances. It is not just the emotional issues but also the grave conditions where the heart does not function as efficiently as it has to.
Approximately the size of a large fist, the heart is divided into right and left sides. The right side primarily pumps the oxygen-deficient blood to the lungs for purification and the left side pumps the oxygen-rich blood to the rest of the body. There are four valves which control the movement of the blood in the right way by opening only when needed. The valves need to function properly to ensure smooth flow and no leakage.
Heart disease is an umbrella term for several heart disorders. One such disorder could be the malfunction of the valves. Leaking valves or narrowed valves are a form of heart valve disease that could be treated by heart valve surgery. If there is a hint of permanent damage then measures could be taken to prolong life by taking appropriate action. Heart valve surgery is performed in a specialist hospital by a team of dedicated heart valve replacement surgeons.
Stress, unhealthy food habits and sedentary lifestyles have now become growing concerns for heart ailments, especially in the urban areas. With passing days, heart valve replacement in Mumbai has now become a most sought after surgery with more and more cases with cardiovascular disorders.
There are a number of ways to repair a faulty valve. This surgery involves an incision in the middle of the breastbone which means the heart functionality need to be stopped momentarily. Hence during the operation, a bypass machine will be used to perform the function. This ensures that blood continues to be pumped around one’s body.
If the valve isn’t seriously damaged, it may be possible to repair it in different ways. For example,
- A valve which is narrowed can be widened or an artificial support could be added to strengthen it.
- A valve seriously damaged may have to be replaced. The surgeon may replace it with a mechanical valve or a tissue (biological or bioprosthetic) valve. Mechanical valves made from carbon and metal are long lasting. Tissue valves made from animal tissue wear out faster than the mechanical valves. Typically they need to be replaced every 10-20 years.
If a valve is replaced, the patient will have to take anticoagulants (medicines to thin the blood) for the rest of their life to prevent formation of blood clots.
Not always does one need a replacement, there are other procedures depending on the circumstances of the patient.
- Keyhole surgery is an option when a minimal access is needed thereby being minimally invasive. Instead of an incision in the breastbone, the surgeon may make several cuts in the skin to open some parts of the chest.
- Tanscatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI) is a percutaneous valve replacement. A tube is passed through a blood vessel in the neck or groin to replace or repair the heart valve. This procedure is generally done when a patient is not healthy enough to go through a detailed surgery.
- Mitral clip is a device clipped onto to the mitral valve (one of the heart valves) if it is failing in functionality to improve the way it works. No incisions in the breastbone are required.
Hospitals now have dedicated services from doctor appointment, prescribing medicines to regular health check-ups and visits covered under their facilities. Book a doctor’s appointment to get a health check done immediately.